Comment on page
🛠️ Logging in
link default passwords
Authentication issues are important to take into consideration. A login page can be the beginning of serious issues regarding accounts takeover.
or authentication bypass
Brute-forcing can have 2 interesting purposes during a pentest engagement:
- 1.Verifying that the web application implements security measures against brute-forcing.
- 2.Taking over an account by guessing its credentials.
One has to check whether a defense mechanism is used (account locking, blocking IP, CAPTCHA, etc.)
User enumeration can be made possible depending on the:
- Status code (is the status code retrieved, always the same?)
- Error messages (does the error messages give a hint on whether the account exists?)
- Response time (is the response time always the same?)
sqlmap -r $REQUEST_FILE -p $LOGIN_PARAM,$PWD_PARAM
--delayoptions in pentest engagements to avoid issues (aggressive payloads and denial of service)
Some web applications don't use TLS to encrypt login requests, this can lead to account takeover via a Man-in-the-Middle attack.